Inspired by its predecessor from the 1930s, the silver C Sonnar T* 50mm f/1.5 ZM from ZEISS is a fast, normal prime for M-mount rangefinder cameras. Its fast f/1.5 maximum aperture and natural perspective make it particularly suitable for portraiture and documentary work, especially in difficult lighting conditions. The 'C' designation of the lens reflects its compact form factor and classic optical design to produce timeless imagery with natural color fidelity and rendering. Also, its Sonnar optical design promotes a high degree of sharpness and flare resistance, and a T* anti-reflective coating is also used to suppress flare and ghosting for high contrast and color clarity.
- Type 'C' lens refers to this lens's classic aesthetic and compact design that recalls its predecessor from the 1930s. The glass and coatings have been updated to contemporary standards, however it still produces a timeless look well-suited for both film and digital use.
- Sonnar optical concept benefits the normal focal length and helps to realize a high degree of sharpness and well-controlled flare.
- Bright f/1.5 maximum aperture suits working in available light conditions and also affords greater control over depth of field for selective focus imagery.
- ZEISS T* anti-reflective coatings have been applied to each lens surface to help minimize reflections in order to provide greater image clarity, contrast, and color fidelity.
- Manual focus design enables a minimum focusing distance of 3'.