Sony 82mm Circular Polarizer Filter
The Sony 82mm Circular Polarizer Filter helps to reduce reflections and glare by filtering out light that has become polarized due to reflection from a non-metallic surface. The light from the sun naturally becomes partially polarized due to reflecting off electrons in air molecules, causing the light to scatter into what appears as haze. A polarizing filter arranges, and filters, this directionally polarized light perpendicularly to the reflected light, allowing for the absorption of much of this light. This results in a noticeable reduction of glare and reflections from non-metallic surfaces and an increase in the saturation of skies and foliage.
A circular polarizer only differs from a linear polarizer in that it contains a quarter wave plane in addition to the linear polarizing filter. The addition of this quarter wave plane is to circularly polarize the linearly polarized light for the use of autofocus and exposure functions. Due to how the light is broken down and filtered with a linear polarizer, autofocus and exposure accuracy become skewed during use. When the light becomes circularly polarized, it permits the use of these functions.
This filter is multi-coated to prevent internal ghosting and reflections. It is constructed from glass and features an aluminum-alloy filter ring for durability while remaining lightweight.
- Helps to reduce reflections and glare by filtering out light that has become polarized due to reflection from a non-metallic surface.
- Polarizing filters arrange, and filter, directionally polarized light perpendicularly to the reflected light, allowing for the absorption of much of the light.
- Clears up haze in distant landscapes and provides more saturated, vivid colors.
- Strongest effect when used at a 90° angle from the sun.
- Circular polarizers are ideal for use with digital cameras and autofocus lenses where a linear polarizer will often disrupt auto exposure and focus features.
- Multi-coated to prevent internal ghosting and reflections.
- Constructed from glass.
- Aluminum-alloy filter ring for durability while remaining lightweight.
- Plastic filter case for storage and transport.
Front Accessory Thread / Bayonet