Skaarhoj Mini Remote Control Panel for Select Cameras
CCU control of Blackmagic Design cameras has been notoriously difficult through software only. We have already specialised in CCU control of multiple cameras (ATEM CCU & ATEM CCU Lite) but now we present a Sony form factor remote control panel (RCP) for Blackmagic Cameras, such as the URSA Mini (+ Pro) and the Studio Camera series. The RCP even allows you to control cameras without the need of an ATEM switcher thanks to the BMD Arduino Shield inside.
- CCU controls Blackmagic URSA Mini (+ Pro) or Studio Camera series compatible camera ("Blackmagic Video Device Embedded Control Protocol" must be supported on SDI return feed)
- Familiar CCU operation via a single axis joystick iris control with master black wheel and top push button
- Fits in your existing OB van rack with a Sony RCP Form Factor (4"/102mm wide)
- Embeds CCU data on the 3G-SDI return feed via a Blackmagic Design Arduino Shield. Alternatively, sends CCU data via a Blackmagic ATEM Switcher (currently subject to limitation in connected ATEM clients)
- Customize the RCP to your liking via the awesome SKAARHOJ UniSketch OS (all RCP interface components included!)
- Use a Blackmagic Design Videohub or ATEM switcher AUX output to control CCU operator monitor via joystick push button
- Connect external trigger and control external devices with the DB-9 "EXT I/O" relay output and GPI trigger connector
- Clear ID indication with large 8 character Camera ID display featuring Tally-colored backlight
- Shade with dedicated encoder knobs for lift, gamma and gain
- Access other camera settings like shutter speed, sensor gain, contrast, saturation, details etc.
- Advanced functions like "Active Panel", "Relative" and limits functions
- Awesome overview of encoder settings with the very crisp 256x64 pixel OLED display
- Store and recall settings with 4 scene stores and dedicated control buttons
- Send Auto Iris command via ATEM or via BlacMagic 3G-SDI Arduino Shield (camera must support this feature)
Blackmagic Arduino Shield
On the backside of the controller, you find a 3G-SDI in and out BNC plug. Route the return feed to the camera through this connection to insert CCU data on the signal. If you use the Blacmagic 3G-SDI Arduino Shield for camera control the following outputs are supported: 720p50, 720p59.94, 720p60, 1080i50, 1080i59.94, 1080i60, 1080p23.98, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p29.97, 1080p30, 1080p50, 1080p59.94 and 1080p60, but the camera doesn´t have to be running the same video format as the program input, so you can use cameras in Ultra HD while the camera protocol is sent over HD signal to the camera.
The RCP controls any Blackmagic camera that supports CCU over the return SDI feed. This includes the Micro Studio Camera 4K, Studio Cameras and the URSA Mini (+ Pro). The CCU data is inserted on the SDI return feed.
Sony Form Factor
It has the same form factor as a Sony RCP-1500 series, so it will fit into your OB van. Here are the dimensions of the Sony RCP taken from their manual.
The RCP feature a push button on the top of the joystick that will bring up the source on a local monitor. This can be achieved in three ways: Through the AUX output of an ATEM switcher (so, the CCU will have to be connected to an ATEM switcher), through connection to a VideoHub which will route sources to the monitor - or via a traditional Sony DB-9 relay plug (pin 1+2+3), also known as "EXT I/O".
Runs on UniSketch OS
The device will ship with a great default configuration that make it work out of the box. However, the unit will run on the SKAARHOJ UniSketch OS which provides a fantastic on-line configuration tool to change, extend or limit the functionality of the controller including shift levels, controller states and presets to add flexibility and conditions and which ensures new features and hardware supports will be available through software upgrades from SKAARHOJ over time.
- CCU joystick with master black wheel and push button on top
- 10 rotary encoders
- 16 x 12 mm buttons for system control
- 3 x 12 mm bi-color buttons for InActive, Relative, Auto Iris
- 1 x 17.4 mm button for preview toggle
- 256x64 pixel crisp OLED display for overview of encoder settings
- ID indication with large 8 character camera ID display
- Miniature high contrast 128x32 OLED display, white on black
- Same form factor as the Sony RCP-1500 series
- Controls camera via ATEM or via Blackmagic Arduino Shield
- UniSketch web interface for extensive configuration
- Enclosure Size 10.2 x 35.5 x 13.5 cm (top of joystick)